Thursday, July 24, 2008

What is a knitting techie?

I have often wondered how people find time to blog and what do they blog about. Finally I have found a subject. I have been spending my summer at my vacation home in Florida and have recently discovered a fabulous new knitting shop A Yarn Outlet in Bradenton. Not only are the owners outstanding people but the other knitters I have met are warm and welcoming.

My job as a tech coordinator in a middle school does not afford me a lot of free time to frequent knitting shops. Especially since my weekends are spent either sitting for my granddaughter or flying down to my home in Florida. Mostly I have been ordering yarns online and knitting during study hall while I watch the kids and make sure they are not surfing the net where they should not be.

After I finished my last project, a hoodie vest for my granddaughter (Jess), I was searching the net for a new project when I happened upon A Yarn Outlet's website. Previously I had scouted all of the knit shops in the Bradenton-Sarasota area but none were quite up to par. How did I miss A Yarn Outlet, especially since it is only minutes from my home.

Several weeks ago I stopped in briefly just to take a look. When I arrived there were a number of women sitting on the porch knitting and chatting with the owner Debbie. Debbie got up and showed me around. I thanked her for her time and left. The following week I scheduled time to go back to the shop and this time I brought my patterns. Needless to say with a sale going on I stocked up. A tank top and scarf for me and a circle coat for Jess. Of course I also walked out with a copy of the the Boku shrug in the August issue of Knit n Style to add to my pattern collection. Several days later I ordered the yarn for the shrug online from Webs. It already arrived and I am busy trying to get the gauge down right That one I will make at school. The kids love to watch me knit. So much so that I started a knitting club that meets several days a week during lunch.

With time off from work I can pursue the things I enjoy. Knitting, reading, swimming, weight training, cycling and golf. My summer has been anything but boring.

I am heading to San Francisco on Saturday to attend a course on documenting oral histories on video. Now my intention is to use this knowledge with my kids at school, but wouldn't it be great if I could find a way to interview and record knitters and their stories. It certainly is something to think about.

No comments: